U.S. Based AMEX Cardholders Can Earn 2 Additional Memberships Rewards Points With Participating AMEX Checkout Merchants
Amex Express Checkout is a button available during the payment process at various online merchants which lets you use your American Express login to pay without entering the full card details.
Members can earn 2 additional Membership Rewards points per US$ spent (up to 5000 points) when completing payment using this payment option at participating merchants including travel providers AVIS, Budget & Delta Air Lines.
Most credit card providers have already come out with a similar system (Masterpass, Visa Checkout) & while available it doesn’t seem that it’s very well received.
The 1st (and only) time I have ever used this was when Orbitz offered a $50 off each booking using Masterpass.
How Amex shows the process works:
Some merchants were offering 2 extra miles per US$ spent.
Take the hassle out of checkout with the online buy button that auto-fills your billing and Card info with your American Express login, so you can get back to doing what you love.
And at select merchants, you can earn 2 additional Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent when you use your eligible American Express® Card with Amex Express Checkout until 05/17/2018. (Max 5,000 additional points.)
This could indeed result in an easy 5,000 MR points if one is actually shopping at these stores to begin with & let’s not forget that for purchases for example at Delta Airlines, depending what kind of card you have you already earn like 5x the base points (for Platinum Card holders) so this promo would add an extra 2 points per US$ spent.
Interesting, participating stores for travel related purchases include:
- Neiman Marcus
- Delta Air Lines
Draw a conclusion:
I don’t see much advantage of these functionalities & therefore never really use them as mentioned before.
If the credit card companies and merchants continue to try and entice customers with promotions thats great but otherwise I can’t see a huge demand for this.
Terms & conditions apply:
Get 2 additional Membership Reward points (for a total of 3 points) for each dollar spent on purchases made online only using Amex Express Checkout with an eligible American Express Card enrolled in the Membership Rewards program at the following participating merchants:
Avis, All 1-800-Flowers brands, B&H, Budget, Boxed, Crate & Barrel, Cole Haan, Gilt, GrubHub/Seamless, Newegg, Neiman Marcus, Staples, Ticketmaster & Walmart. Not valid on alcohol purchases on Boxed.
- Have an online account with American Express
- Provide your username and password to make a purchase using Amex Express Checkout
- Select an American Express Card enrolled in the Membership Rewards Program as the method of payment.
Offer ends March 17, 2018.
- Limit of 5,000 additional Membership Rewards points per eligible Card.
- These additional points are in addition to any points you would normally receive for purchases on your Card under the terms of the Membership Rewards program.
- For Amex Everyday Card products, when we calculate the additional points benefit, points awarded under this offer will not be included.
- Additional points will be credited to your Membership rewards program account within 90 days after qualifying purchases appear on your billing statement.
- Purchases may fall outside of the offer period in some cases due to a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction (such as the purchase date for online orders may be the shipping date).
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the additional points.
- To receive the additional points, your Card account must not be past due or cancelled at the time the statement credit is posted to your Card account.
- We may not credit additional points to, or we may take away additional points that have been credited to, your program account if the qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled.
- Terms & conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply.
- Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice..
- Visit membershiprewards.com/terms for more information.